Medical Assistant (MA)
As a Medical Assistant (MA) for Trinetic Healthcare LLC this position performs a wide variety of duties and responsibilities in a manner that places emphasis on quality of care and customer service. The incumbent must work collaboratively with all Clinical services staff in support of direct patient services, exhibiting flexibility and a “can-do” attitude. Patient services are the key priority in this position requiring the MA to serve as a point of contact with other internal and external departments, all with the goal of fostering an environment which promotes patient comfort and trust. The position must exemplify the core values and mission of the organization, always exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy and tact in patient/staff interactions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares for patient appointments by reviewing and updating patient records prior to appointment. This includes checking for updates of recent test results, lab results and correspondence. Also reviews patient record (EHR) to determine needed services and whether referrals are in process or have been completed since last visit.
- Maintains exam rooms according to protocols: Cleans rooms between patient exams to ensure patients’ comfort and compliance with infection control standards; ensures all necessary supplies are stocked. Promptly reports when supplies are low and works with nursing staff to ensure timely reordering is completed.
- Appropriately prepares patient for visit and alerts physician when patient is ready to be seen. When physician is unavailable, the MA keeps the patient updated on the status of their appointment and when necessary assists the patient in re-scheduling or scheduling follow-up. Instructs patient as to general clinic policies, patients’ rights and responsibilities as needed.
- Provides initial medical screening: Greets patients and directs to appropriate exam room. Takes weight, height, temp, blood pressure, and basic medical history; accurately documents in medical chart according to generally accepted medical standards.
- Assists physician or nurse upon request during examination of patient and according to generally accepted medical standards. Practices universal precautions with respect to established safety protocols. Facilitates communication between the provider(s) and patient as needed, including translation as appropriate.
- Utilizes time in a constructive and efficient manner by assisting in such duties as restocking rooms/shelves/trays, checking supplies and ensuring that all areas, exam rooms are clean and orderly.
- Performs general clerical duties in support of patient services according to the needs of the clinic and as directed by Care Coordinator, provider(s) and nursing staff. These include but are not limited to answering phones, photocopies, faxing, typing, completing forms, etc. Works with patient scheduling system to assist Patient Registration staff with the orderly and efficient patient flow.
- Ensures clinical areas are organized with respect of standards in safety and quality patient care. Works collaboratively with Clinical staff and other departments in solutions-oriented problem solving with the goal of providing quality patient care. For safety and security reasons, the MA is responsible for knowing the whereabouts of a patient any time the patient is in clinical areas. In the event a patient or clinic emergency, the MA may be called to activate the proper ‘code’, assisting provider(s) and clinical staff with the appropriate emergency response. In the event of evacuation, the MA will assist in the evacuating of patients being seen by her/his provider(s) as scheduled.
- Attends staff and medical meetings, as required.
- Acts in capacity as interpreter, as needed.
- Excellent communication skills at level necessary for taking patients’ medical histories, understanding provider and supervisor’s instructions, and for accurately documenting patients’ medical information.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patient population and staff while demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact.
- Beginner to intermediate computing and phone skills.
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends; demonstrates flexibility in regards to job duties and assignments.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high-stress and fast-moving environment.
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with ethnically diverse
- Working knowledge of “Universal Precautions,” demonstrates professionalism at all times.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA.
- Bilingual English/Spanish and/or other languages strongly preferred.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License, insurance, and ability to travel as required to perform duties.
Education & Experience:
- High school Graduate (or GED) required.
- Current, valid Texas Certification of Medical Assistant.
- Current, valid CPR certification.
- Familiarity with community / service area.
- Previous experience as Medical Assistant in a non-profit setting highly desirable.