This position is responsible for performing venipuncture on patients.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
- Prepares equipment to efficiently collect blood products.
- Performs venipuncture, arterial and capillary punctures on patients as directed by physician and following medical practice protocols related to safety, infection control, and confidentiality.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection;
- Conducts laboratory tests on specimens.
- Maintains daily tallies of collections performed and enters data into computer.
- Assists donor before, during, and after donation. Instructs on urine collection procedures.
- Cleans/sterilizes equipment, instruments, and work area following safety, cleanliness, and infection control procedures.
- Inventories supplies and places orders to ensure adequate supplies for procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an accredited medical vocational institution with phlebotomy course diploma.
Minimum one year of phlebotomy experience. Medical practice experience helpful.
- ASCP required; certification as medical assistant preferred but not required.
- National certification through American Medical Technologists as a registered phlebotomy technician not required but helpful.
- Current CPR certificate.
- Knowledge of phlebotomy techniques.
- Knowledge of clinic protocols and policies.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Skill in performing efficient and effective draws.
- Skill in conducting cooperative interactions with patients and staff.
- Ability to interpret and respond appropriately to instructions.
- Ability to coordinate eye–hand movements to ensure patient comfort during blood draws.
- Ability to competently use Microsoft Office.
Equipment Operated: Blood draw equipment including syringes, tubes, bandages, and other appropriate supplies.
Work Environment: Performs duties in medical exam/procedure rooms. Exposure to communicable diseases, sharp instruments, bodily fluids, cleaning chemicals.